What defines a good piece of writing?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
What defines a good piece of writing?

I have been thinking about this today. Is a difficult question to answer - for me anyway.

Sometimes I read stuff that's not been rated highly, yet I think it's great, and can't understand the low ratings; is strange as well, cause I e-mail the person to let them know, tell them I thought the piece was excellent; and sometimes they reply and say, it's one of the pieces that not many people like, but the one they're most fond of. And I can't understand why noone else would like the piece.

Other times I've read something and it's been cherried, given high ratings, praised left, right and centre - yet it didn't really do anything for me. Just made me say: "So what?" - scatch my head and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Makes me kinda wonder if maybe I haven't got a clue about what good writing is. Am I missing something? What is it I'am not seeing?

So I sat down and thought about it, and wrote down the things I like as a reader:

For me it's something that has heart in it, that touches me in some way. Something with a bit of depth, with an element of spirit/mystery. Something that makes me think.

Something with imagination.

Something that describes a place so that you can picture it in your mind with ease.

Something that has strong memorable characters in it.

Something with honesty - that is real and raw, with words that hit ya. Full-on, no holds barred kind of stuff.

Something humourous.

Something with a bit of pep, lively and spontaneous, that flows like jazz, or rave music.

Something that dares to be different. Something creative/experimental. Something that dares to go beyond the confines of language and f.uck with reality and tradition.

These are the things I class as good writing.

I was wondering what other people thought makes a good piece.

Food blister
Anonymous's picture
I think writing should contain all the elements of good food. Tasty fries, lovely burgers, hot steamy pizza, coffee's like none other, pastries made by angels and grilled ribs prepared by a master barbeque chef. The very stuff of life! I can't write on an empty stomach! Any writer worth his/her salt knows to "fill up" the engine for energy and inspiration. Cold beer and cold tea make American writers a bit slog headed compared to our English mates but a hot bowl of chili evens out the playing field. Some of my best writing was created after a cold meatloaf sandwich eaten well after midnight. My blood pressure is high but dame the stories are grand...
Underdog
Anonymous's picture
(to Witch of Endor) Are you insulting England?????
Underdog
Anonymous's picture
I know exactly what you mean. For example, I really can't see all the fuss around the Harry Potter books. Everyone else seems to be tripping up over eachother to get them, but I just stand at the back of the crowd wondering why I bother standing there at all.
iceman
Anonymous's picture
A good piece of writing is a piece you begin to read and then have to consume in one sitting. I have done this a couple of times with a novel, (which took three hours to read in one go) but generally I prefer short stories which I can eat between meals without spoiling my appetite. A good piece of writing will cause some reaction in you. So will a bad piece. Well, bad is subjective, it may be the most wonderful piece of writing ever but if you don't *get* it you wont enjoy it. Sometimes a piece will let you briefly inside the head of the writer and you can see the world from their point of view. That's important. iceman
peter
Anonymous's picture
something like the Our Father with a BOOM BOOM at the end??
Not_funky
Anonymous's picture
Well good point you raise there funky. I often think about this myself. Especially when I'am sat in the bath staring at the surreal ceiling, wondering: what on earth is it that makes a good piece of writing? Then EUREKA!! I see it and jump out of the bath and run around my living room. Only to get strange looks from my neighbours, cause I forgot to close the curtains.
Billy_no_mates
Anonymous's picture
I often lie awake at night pondering this. It troubles me. Thankyou for starting such an informative thread funky. It certainly helped to open up my eyes, to what it is I look for in a piece of writing. many thanks Billy
Paranoid_writer
Anonymous's picture
Er.. when you say sometimes a piece of writing doesn't do anything for you. You don't mean my writing do you?
Jesus
Anonymous's picture
Yeah! Wow! Like peace man! Really dig what you're saying.
The Devil
Anonymous's picture
As an archetypal cross-cultural figure whose form and origins are up for much theological debate, it is hard for me to answer your question, let alone hold a pen. I do appreciate what you're saying though. The Devil
Witch of Endor
Anonymous's picture
Who dares disturb my rest with such a question? Ha, may you live in England forever! Witch of Endor.
God
Anonymous's picture
Good question Funky. You know I really like you, but could you please stop swearing at me! Love God
Tony Blair
Anonymous's picture
Ar it has to be something that sounds like it's the truth. You have to get the words just right; like take for example my first ever election campaign, where I used the slogan: Education, Education, Education. Now that was catchy that was, blew my competition away. And although * grins stupidly * things erm didn't quite turn out how I imagined they would, it doesn't matter, it got the votes. So perhaps funky this is it. This is what defines a good piece of writing. For me anyway, anything that pulls the wool over peoples eyes. I have to say you're neither interesting nor boring - quite an average fellow really - a man after my own heart. Tony B (PM)
The_invisible_man
Anonymous's picture
P.J.Paul
Anonymous's picture
Funky, I would really like to squeeze your knee, friend. You are a very radical young man - the world needs more lads like you to rock the powers that be! P.J.Paul
Joe_bloggs
Anonymous's picture
funky what you're saying has been pondered by great literary men/women for centuries. Since man/woman first put pen to paper. I really think you should check out my work. I often write about the things you mention. I believe you will find all the qualities there which you look for in a piece of writing. kind regards Joe
Bill Gates
Anonymous's picture
Well for a start, good writing has to be how we at MSN percieve it. That's why I am working on something that tells people where to indent their work and where they should put capital letters. I hope this helps Bill
Building design...
Anonymous's picture
I'am sorry but we must intervene and skip this post. -The building designer conspiracy-
editor 14
Anonymous's picture
Ha, such insolence.. '..Other times I've read something and it's been cherried, given high ratings, praised left, right and centre - yet it didn't really do anything for me. Just made me say: "So what?" - scatch my head and wonder what all the fuss was about.. ' Less of the cheek young man, or there's no more cherries for you! Consider yourself warned me laddy!!! )-:
where's_me_cherry
Anonymous's picture
I was just wondering what had happend to my cherry. I wanted to change a word. So re-submitted the piece, only to find I am now cherryless. Does anyone know how I can get it back?
Alice
Anonymous's picture
I have had the very same thoughts funky. the things you say. it could be my mind speaking out loud. perhaps we are mirrored persona trapped in a world beyond the comprehension of others. you show a perception about writing that i thought, until now, was my own. you are a cool dude. but, can I be frank for a minute?
cherry_counselor
Anonymous's picture
er.. check your e-mail.
Alice
Anonymous's picture
what?
cherry_counselor
Anonymous's picture
Sorry Alice, was answering where's_me_cherry.
Woody Allen
Anonymous's picture
Metterling had met Freud years before in Vienna, when they both attended a production of Oedipus, from which Freud had to be carried out in a cold sweat. Their sessions were stormy, if we are to believe Freud's notes, and Metterling was hostile. He once threatened to starch Freud's beard and often said he reminded him of his laundryman. Gradually, metterlings unusual relationship with his father came out. (Students of Metterling are already familiar with his father, a petty official who would ridicule Metterling by comparing him to a wurst.) Freud writes of a key dream Metterling described to him: "I am at a dinner party with some friends when suddenly a man walks in with a bowl of soup on a leash. He accuses my underwear of treason, and when a lady defends me her forehead falls off. I find this amusing in the dream, and laugh. Soon everyone is laughing except my laundryman, who seems stern and sits there putting porridge in his ears. My father enters, grabs the lady's forehead, and runs away with it. He races to a public square, yelling, 'At last! At last! A forehead of my own! Now I won't have to rely on that stupid son of mine.' This depresses me in the dream, and I am seized with an urge to kiss the Burgomaster's laundry. "(Here the patient weeps and forgets the remainder of the dream.) With insights gained from this dream, Freud was able to help Metterling, and the two became quite friendly outside of analysis, although Freud would never let Metterling get behind him. Quote from the book: "Getting even" by woody allen.
funky
Anonymous's picture
Oh God.. Sorry I got a bit carried away there.. Jus messing, and being daft as usual. Got a bit bored, and posted a daft post, but then decided I would post another one, then one daft post led to another.. and before I knew what was going on I was hooked. No offence meant to anyone on abctales. Was just messing man, being humourous, or trieng to be humourous. Oh man this is probably the saddest thing I've ever done in my life. Think it's time to go back to my hiding place in rural Birmingham. Can't believe how long I've spent posting on this thread. Is the kind of thing me and some of my friends do in peoples birthday cards sometimes. Write lots of fake messages from famous people, to try and make them laugh. Does that help to convince you that I am sane? I am ok honest. Is just my strange warped sense of humour. *** Hey Alice I'am sorry too. It must be very confusing for you. What is it you want to be frank with me about? Fire away dude.
chant
Anonymous's picture
*Chant wanders into the room and sees that all the cushions have been piled up against the door. tidies up a bit and wanders out again.*
Babewithbrains
Anonymous's picture
I agree totally with Funky's view of good writing... peace and love!! PS. please read my work!!!!!!!!
stormy
Anonymous's picture
hey babe, how about responding to the thread dedicated to you in the other forum? hmm?
chant
Anonymous's picture
i think for me the three fundamentals are:- 1) style - the manner in which something is written. is the writer in control of the words? 2) honesty - how close to the truth about life is the writing? 3) originality - does the writer have something new to say, or a new way to say it?
Topic locked